About this course
This is a volunteer training programme to equip you with the necessary listening, empathizing and questioning skills to be a volunteer with Samaritans of Singapore (SOS).
You will learn how to respond and provide emotional support to callers in need. The course will also help you develop necessary skills such as being empathetic, non-judgmental, and acceptance of others. You will also learn to use PADI framework to lead and develop calls.
What you will learn
- Explain the services of SOS and their roles and expectations required as a volunteer in SOS.
- Develop listening, empathizing and questioning skills.
- Develop necessary skills and values of a volunteer in SOS.
- Apply PADI framework to lead and develop calls.
- Identify and assess callers with signs of suicidal behaviour and risk.
- Identify common signs and symptoms of mental illness/conditions.
- Develop skills to manage distressed and suicidal calls, and callers with mental conditions.
Mrs Tan Yoke Yin